Ultimate Mercenary Reading Order
Jump to navigation Jump to search
- I can't imagine what reading all of this nonsense in chronological order will be like.
- – Masterplan Lad, The Liminals #1
Ultimate Mercenary started off simple enough, but grew into an epic tale with a whole bunch of forking paths along the way. (And also was written super out of order.) Here's an approximation of a simple reading guide:
- President Evil #6 (whose framing sequence is an epilogue to WikiLull, but never mind that) is a prequel, set before Masterplan Lad met Ultimate Mercenary and revealing some of his activities as part of the Knights Temporal. It's the earliest chronological story featuring MPL. He says so!
- The cast comes together, has adventures, and transcends existence in Ultimate Mercenary.
- There are a bunch of Infinite Leadership Crisis issues that take place during UM #7 that haven't been written yet, and indeed, may never be.
- From there, they head into the absurdly overnamed Just Imagine Saxon Brenton and the Writers of RACC in: RACCies the Final! Symphony of Genesis, and currently-unrevealed fates happen to them!
Somewhere in those unrevealed fates, the cast splits off.
Ultimate Mercenary ends up on Earth-20:
- And slides straight into Ultimate Mercenary v20.
- His appearances in the Spoon of Destiny Saga take place after all currently-published UM v20 issues, because of course they do.
- His story will end in the impending The Last Days of Ultimate Mercenary.
The rest of the cast ends up in the Classic Looniverse:
- And ends up careening right into the events of Just Another Multi-Writer Cascade That Will Probably Never Have an Ending.
- Halfway thru that story, Masterplan Lad gets thrown back in time to Legion of Net.Heroes Volume 2 #50, and shows up in issues #51-53 before making his way back to JAMWCTWPNHaE.
- After they're all back together, these characters form The Liminals in the early issues of WikiLull, but drop out of that plot after issue #11, well before it starts getting apocalyptic.
- They go on to star in The Liminals.
- Masterplan Lad then gets dragged into Hungry, Hungry Sabertooths!, where his struggle to maintain continuity between his roles in the Chaotic Add-On Cascade and his home series ends up having devastating personal consequences. The Liminals continues on in its wake.
There, that's not too complicated, right?
- ↑ Also issues 5-6 of The Liminals are a flashback set before issue 4 but that's OK, because those are meant to be read out of chronological order.